MG ZR (Mark 2 – 2004)
The exterior style changes to the new MG ZR include a new front bumper design, a deeper integral SV look front grille and a tough clear lens protecting twin halogen headlamps in a black surr
ound, that combine to give the ZR a fresh and sports focussed, modern appearance.
At the rear, the treatment is just as effective, with a new, more angular rear bumper, housing the re-positioned number plate and a clean-panel rear tailgate, with centrally mounted MG brand and ZR model identity badging. This gives a more defined rear appearance, with its standard-fit spoiler for a refreshed design style. Other exterior changes include the tailgate lift handle now incorporated into the rear wiper assembly design and body coloured side rubbing strips with ZR model identity badging. A blacked out lower feature and stainless steel exhaust heat shield creates an authentic effect, with 160 models also featuring rear bumper extensions on the corners by the rear wheel arch.
Inside, the high quality and stylish cabin features a new fascia design, centre console, soft touch switchgear and an array of technology features. The new fascia houses four circular styled air vents that give definition and feature to the centre and ends of the fascia, each with a satin chrome finish.
Improved Driving Experience
The latest ZR models all feature a more responsive and improved brake feel. A lower positioned clutch pedal improves driver ergonomics and throttle pedal set-up has been changed on petrol and diesel models to match the engine responsiveness of this pocket-rocket sports hatch. Steering is also much sharper with improved
H-frame toe and camber geometry and the fitment of a new specification rear suspension bush material.
A new 16” Gridspoke wheel is available on entry-level ZR models, while the 160 is available with the 17” Straights alloy wheel.
Convenience – Remote Activated Boot Release
A new feature for the ZR is the plip activated electronic tailgate release feature, a convenience that allows the owner easier access to the rear of the car.
Secure Technology for Greater Security and Locking
Auto relocking – if the car is locked/armed and the unlock button is subsequently pressed, the car will automatically lock and re-arm if no doors are opened within
30 seconds. This protects against accidental unlocking of the vehicle.
Speed locking – (also known as drive away locking) can be configured so that the doors automatically lock when the vehicle speed is greater than 3mph/5km/h. The doors remain locked when the vehicle is stationary and can be unlocked by the master lock button or by turning the engine off. The alarm system uses a battery backed up sounder, located within a shielded enclosure and protected with tamper proof fixings, which will activate if the power supply is tampered with.
Audible mislock – features a short horn sound if door / tailgate / bonnet are open when the vehicle is locked with the key or remote. Automatic Engine immobilisation is activated after the ignition is switched off.
Master Locking Switch – This new feature to MG ZR is located above the switches in the new centre console. It offers a greater degree of security as the car can instantly lock all of the doors, regardless of ignition or engine state, with a single press of the button.
A panic alarm can be triggered by pressing the Master Locking Switch for two seconds – locking all doors, activating the alarm sounder and flashing the hazard lamps. It is de-activated by another two-second press or by pressing the plip.
Remote locking feature
The new remote plip has a changing lock/unlock code every time it is used. No thief could record (or capture) the code then use it later on. A new design of plip now features lock, unlock and remote tailgate release opening. It can be operated with the alarm armed or disarmed. The alarm rearms when the tailgate is closed, with hazard warning lamps flashing to indicate this security. The latest plip design has a greater operating range.
Safety – ABS/EBD
All MG ZRs have ABS (anti-lock braking system) and EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution) as standard. EBD helps to ensure that the rear brakes contribute as much braking force as possible, equalising the braking forces.
Solid: Trophy Yellow, new Rio Red
Metallic: Starlight Silver and XPower Grey
Pearlescent: Royal Blue, Goodwood Green, British Racing Green, Black Pearl, new Firefrost red and Ignition Blue are an option.
New Features Summary
- New front bumper design
- New larger integral front grille
- New clear lens cover twin halogen headlamps
- Body coloured side rubbing strips with brushed steel ZR identity
- New rear bumper design housing number plate
- New tailgate design incorporating distinctive MG and ZR badging
- Remote plip activated hatchback-opening release
- New 16” Gridspoke alloy wheels
- Thatcham approved security wheel locking nuts
- New fascia design with four stylish rotary air vents with satin chrome finish.
- New fascia console with soft-touch switches
- Revised seat fabrics
- Master locking switch and drive-away locking for occupant security
New MG ZR Specification Summary, model by model
105 – 1.4-litre (103Ps) engine
120 – 1.8-litre (117Ps) engine
TD – 2.0-litre turbo-diesel (101Ps) engine
Suspension and Steering
- Front: independent MacPherson strut suspension with telescopic dampers
- Front anti roll bar
- Rear: independent torsion beam H frame
- Power assisted steering
- Safety and Brakes
- Driver’s airbag and five lap and diagonal seat belts
- ABS with EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution)
- Electric front windows
- All Ash coloured fascia condition
- Matrix fabric seat facings on entry model and ‘+’ models
- New Axis material for ZR 160
- Stylish new seat pattern, using horizontal sew lines on squab and cushion
- Door casings incorporate coloured inserts to match seats (neutral, blue or green)
- New glovebox design with satin chrome handle
- New centre console with unique Technical Grey finish
- Satin aluminium painted HEVAC knobs, floor bezels
- Centre console now includes additional storage space under ICE unit
- New floor console with satin aluminium electric window switch surround
- Rotary styled air vents with satin chrome finish
- 60/40 split folding rear seat back
Locks and Security
- Remote central door locking with Plip controlled remote tailgate release function
- Passive engine immobilisation
- Auto relocking and speed locking functions
- Master locking/unlocking switch including personal panic attack alarm mode
- Thatcham approved security wheel locking nuts
Body and Exterior Features
- Body coloured side rubbing strips incorporating ZR badging identity
- Body coloured front and re-styled rear bumpers
- Union/chequered flag badge on D posts
- Clear lens twin halogen headlamps
- Additional specification features over entry models:
- Kenwood single slot CD Tuner
- Air conditioning
- Leather steering wheel
- Front fog lights
- Driver’s seat height and lumbar support
- Electric adjustable/heated door mirror
- 1.8-litre (160Ps) engine with Variable Valve Control
- Additional specification features over ZR+:
- 17″ Straights alloy wheels
- Axis part-leather seats
- Rear head restraints
- Rear electric windows
- Sculpted side sill finishers and rear bumper extensions
- Twin exhaust pipes
- Close-ratio gearbox
- Uprated brakes