MG ZS (Mark 2 – 2004)
The new MG ZS has a striking exterior treatment, combining a sculpted new front bumper, front grille and twin lens headlamps to generate a greater on-road presence, with a more modern style. The front bumper includes an integrated lip spoiler, which substantially improves the stance and aero performance of this sports saloon.
At the rear, the ZS has a new appearance, with a new, more angular rear bumper and rear boot / tailgate treatment with a lower re-positioned number plate position. This lowers the eye-line to give the car a more defined rear, whilst the addition of a rear lip spoiler (to all MG ZSs, both 5dr and 4dr body styles) helps to change the rear profile of the car considerably.
Another major exterior difference on the new MG ZS is the availability of an all new “body kit” treatment, standard on ZS 180 derivatives, and available as an option on the ZS range. This body kit includes front and rear wheelarch spats, front fender vents, and side sill finisher. The features have a major effect on the appearance of the car, giving it a much more muscular appearance and increase the differentiation of the ZS 180 vs the standard cars from the rest of the range, and take-up is expected to exceed demand from the current status.
New 17″ 11-spoke alloy wheels are specified on the new ZS 180, and because they have a larger 7.5J rating, effectively improving steering response, they further enhance the already superb chassis handling characteristics. These will be standard on the ZS 180, and an option on the rest of the range when specified as a package with the optional body kit.
The incorporation of a new fascia design transforms the interior of latest MG ZS, and includes satin chrome circular vent treatments that add more definition and a more striking appearance. A new Technical Grey insert finisher completes the sporting character of the cabin.
Air Temperature Control
A key new comfort specification feature introduced on MG ZS is Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) air conditioning. This luxury feature allows the precise desired temperature of the air conditioning to be set, in Fahrenheit or Centigrade, with an external temperature display and solar sensor compensation. The new control panel is fully integrated in the console. This feature is standard on ZS 180, and available as an option on ZS+ models.
Remote Activated Boot Release
A new feature for the latest ZS is the remote activated boot release feature. This customer convenience feature allows a key owner easier access to the boot of the car; by pressing a third button on the remote plip, the owner can release the boot lock while approaching the car. The boot will then be open by the time they get to the car, and is particularly useful when either or both hands are full.
The interior also features revised column stalks that have a superior feeling matt finish. The switches used within the revised centre console are soft-touch membrane switches that look and operate in a more positive and modern way.
At service, the program wash / wipe facility can be programmed to vary the number of times the wipers operate after the windscreen wash has finished. A new ‘Dribble Wipe’ feature is an extra wipe of the screen approximately 4 seconds after the last wipe has occurred, after the program wash wipe, to capture any subsequent water dribble.
Greater Security and Locking Protection
Auto relocking – if the car is locked / armed and the unlock button pressed, the car will auto lock / rearm if no doors are opened within 30 seconds and assumes the vehicle was unlocked / disarmed accidentally.
Speed locking – doors automatically lock when vehicle speed is greater than 3 mph / 5 km/h. The doors remain locked when the vehicle is stationary and will automatically unlock again when the ignition is turned off. Doors can be unlocked by using the master lock / unlock button.
MG ZS performed well in recent What Car? Security tests and has a Thatcham
Cat. 1 alarm, top level security system and complies with the latest 2004 Security directives. The alarm system uses a battery backed up sounder, located within a shielded enclosure and protected with tamper proof fixings, which will activate if the power supply is tampered with.
Audible mislock – features a short horn sound if door / boot / bonnet are open when the vehicle is locked with the key or remote. The boot is more secure now the key lock is no longer specified and Automatic Engine immobilisation is activated after the ignition is switched off.
Remote locking feature
The new remote plip has a changing lock / unlock code every time it is used. No thief could record (or capture) the code then use it later. A new design of plip now features lock, unlock and remote boot release opening. It can be operated with the alarm armed or disarmed. The alarm rearms when the boot is closed, with hazard warning lamps flashing to indicate this security. The latest plip design has a much enhanced operating range.
Master Locking Switch
This new feature is located amongst the switches in the new centre console. It offers a greater degree of security as the car can instantly lock all of the doors, regardless of ignition or engine state, with a single press of the button; also included is drive-away locking for occupant security against possible external threats. A panic alarm can be triggered by pressing the MLS for over two seconds, locking all doors, activating the alarm siren and flashing the hazard lamps and de-activated by another two second press or by pressing the plip unlock button.
Exterior Colours & Interior Colours
Solid: Rio Red, Trophy Yellow
Metallic: Starlight Silver, XPower Grey, Ignition Blue
Pearlescent: Firefrost Red, Royal Blue, British Racing Green, Black Pearl and Goodwood Green
Interior Colour and Trim Availability
The MG ZS features an Ash interior colour and the new fascia design includes a new re-positioned fascia insert, available in two finishes: the standard condition is Technical Grey, however there is also a Black Oak optional finish. Seat trims include a new Matrix fabric available in three colourways – grey, green and blue. These seats will be the standard condition on ZS entry and ZS+ models.
Axis part leather seats feature on the 180 and are also available in three colourways – grey, green and blue. The leather is black in all cases and appears on the side bolsters. The Axis part leather seats feature horizontal fluting effects for greater visual impact and further support. A black full leather sports seat and Gunsmoke Alcantara® seat are an option.
New Features Summary
- New front bumper including integrated front splitter
- New and larger MG grille
- New twin lens reflector headlamps
- New rear bumper including new exhaust finishers
- New tailgate/boot lid
- Remote plip activated boot-opening release
- New lip spoiler (as standard fit on all models)
- New 17″ alloy wheel (standard on ZS 180, optional on other models)
- New ZS 180 body kit – wheelarch spats, sill mouldings, fender vents
- Revised badging including 180 badges on side fender
- Attractive new fascia incorporating rotary air vents
- New fascia console with new soft-touch membrane switches
- New column stalks with quality feel
- ATC air conditioning availability
- New seat fabrics and door casing inserts
- New Axis part leather seats including horizontal fluting
- New fascia insert treatment – a Technical Grey finish
- Master locking switch and driveaway locking for occupant security
- Lowered clutch pedal position for improved ergonomics
New MG ZS Specification Summary, model by model
Suspension and Steering
- Low ride height
- Sports springs and dampers
- Front and rear anti-roll bars
- Sports tuned power steering
- Quick ratio steering rack
Safety and Brakes
- Driver, front passenger & front side airbags
- ABS with EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution)
- Ventilated front disc brakes (on 120, 115 TD and 180 models) and solid rear
- Front disc brakes and rear drum brakes (on 110 and TD models
- Sports styled and shaped seats
- Matrix fabric seat facings (Grey, Blue or Green colourways)
- Technical grey fascia inserts and console/switch surrounds
- Rotary styled air vents with satin chrome finish
- Silver finish instrument dials with orange needles
- Alloy and leather gearknob
- Sports steering wheel with MG badge
- Driver’s seat height and lumbar adjustment
- 60/40 split folding rear seat
- Powered door mirror adjustment with heating
Locks and Security
- Remote central door locking
- Plip controlled remote boot release function
- Internal tailgate/boot release
- New specification locking wheel nuts
- Thatcham Category 1 alarm system with perimetric and volumetric protection
- Auto-relocking and speed locking functions
- Master locking/unlocking switch including personal panic attack alarm mode
Body and Exterior Features
- MG styled front grille
- Deep front bumper incorporating integrated lip spoiler and mesh grille
- Rear tailgate / bootlid integrated lip spoiler
- Body coloured sill finishers
- Body coloured door mirrors, door handles and side mouldings
- Large bore exhaust and exhaust heatshield (except ZS 110 and ZS+ 110)
- Chequered and Union flag badges on D posts
- Clear lens twin halogen headlamps
- Clear side repeater lamps
- 16″ Hairpin alloys (except ZS 110 and ZS+ 110)
- Instant tyre repair system
Unique ZS 110 / ZS+ 110 Features
- 15″ Mirage 5-spoke alloy wheels
- Concealed rear exhaust, no rear exhaust heatshield
- MG ZS + models Additional Specification over MG ZS Models
- CFC-free on/off air conditioning including pollen filter
- Electric front windows with driver’s one shot open
- 4 x 50W Kenwood CD Tuner
- Leather covered sports steering wheel with MG badge
ZS 180 Additional Specification over ZS+ Models
- Large front and rear disc brakes (282mm front, 260mm rear)
- Sports ratio gearbox with short throw gearshift and leather gear lever gaiter
- Axis fabric seat facings with horizontal fluting and leather side bolsters
- Front fog lamps
- Automatic Temperature Control air conditioning
- 4 x 45W Kenwood radio cassette
- 6 Disc Kenwood CD autochanger
- Front and rear wheelarch spats
- Integrated side sill finisher
- Front wing vents and 180 badge mounted on side fender
- 17″ 11 spoke alloy wheels